Pages

project: child's 1860s nightgown

After a glorious weekend of intense sewing with my dear friend Paula, I'm now a whole lot closer to being prepared for the event in two weeks.  I'm way too busy.  Ugh.  And I was getting really stressed out at not having anything to wear -- or at least anything that fit.  But I came away with an old dress altered to fit me, and although it's less than glamorous, I'm very thankful to have something to wear that is somewhat decent.  Paula will have to portray the "rich widow" and I her poor, pitiful sister-in-law with a baby on her hip.  But if you knew us, you'd know that we'll have one heck of a good time with that scenario.  :)

So...dress, check.  Petticoat, check.  Victoria's dress, check.  Ok, well I have to get buttons and buttonholes on that, but that's it.  Just need buttons/buttonholes on her petti, drawers, and stays, and they're done.  Her shoes...the sole is pricked on the second shoe, and all that's left is to stitch the upper to the sole and it's finished, too, with the exception of dropping in a bit of an insole.  So it's coming along.

I'm making patterns again.  Since she's older now, I wanted to make Victoria a nightgown.  Personally, I feel like night clothes to be largely underrepresented at reenactments -- but I don't have to ask why, since most people aren't usually going to be seen in their nightgown.  Nevertheless, it's part of the experience, and I want Victoria to have one.

I found one online and, although it says 1865-1885, I think it should work for what I'm doing.  It's simple a-line with 6 small tucks on each side of the center front.  I've mocked it up about 4 times now, but changed it to four wide tucks.  I think I'm close, but it's clear that I'm going to have to bring in the width of the top as it's too loose under her arms.  Once I get the fit where I want, I'll create the yoke for the back (because the original has a yoke, apparently), and work on the sleeves.  Sleeves I hate.  The bane of my existence when it comes to patterning.

One of the latest mockups.  I find making patterns quite a joy - but mocking them up over and over to get the pattern just right is maddening.  Still, practice makes perfect.  And the more accurate I get, the better it is for anyone who ends up using my little patterns.

Drawing, printing, taping, and cutting.  Oh to have a professional, large-format printer.

My dear darling modelling the latest draft of the front.  The sleeves are appropriately off the shoulder, but you can probably tell from this photo that they extend too far.  I was trying to give her some room to grow, but that is probably overkill.  Now I'm off to reduce the width of the top, recut, re-baste and hope I'm not too far off from the final....because, after all, I want to be able to make her a nightgown for the Friday after next!  The clock is ticking.

That's all for now.  I hope you are all well and happy!

Amy xoxoxo

4 comments:

Robin's Egg Bleu said...

It's going to be lovely! But she sure is gorgeous!

Beth said...

Es precioso!, enhorabuena, eres una artista!
Un saludo.
Beth.

Rachel said...

Oh so cute! I can't wait to see what becomes of all your hard work!

Annette Bethke said...

Adorable! I can't wait to see all of Victoria's wardrobe.