Pages

Straw bonnet is done...sans trimming

Yay! At long last! I've finally, finally gotten my straw bonnet sewn together. No trimmings yet, but the hardest and longest part of the project is finished finally. I'm very happy with it. It took some finagling, but I did at last get the shape right. I had to use some wiring in the brim to keep it from losing its shape over time. I may actually add two more stabilizing wires. I've seen them in antique bonnets -- just not usually straw bonnets. But since the bonnet will be lined, and nobody will see the wires, then I feel it's do-able and still in keeping with the Old Ways.

For trimming, I'm going to attempt to use some navy blue silk satin ribbon I have which is about 4" wide. I may change my mind and use it for a dress I'm making a friend, but for now I think it's destined for this bonnet. I hope you all like it!! :) Spring fashions are so fun.

10 comments:

Annette Bethke said...

The is lovely! I love the color. Great job.

Annette Bethke said...

Sorry, can't spell...THAT is lovely...

Tiff said...

That bonnet is wonderful! Can I ask how you made it? Do you have instructions? I have a big head and can never find hat or bonnets that fit me properly and I would love to try and make one myself.

I can't wait to see a pic of your finished bonnet!

Amy said...

Thanks Annette!

Hi Tiff! -- I don't really have instructions, but I wrote a few posts as I was putting it together that might be helpful. On my blog home page, just scroll down until you see "Straw Bonnet" under PROJECTS and it'll show you all the posts relating to it, plus my thought process since I didn't have a bonnet block to go by. Just start from the bottom and read up.

It was really time-consuming, but rather rewarding now that I'm looking at the finished item. :)

The Dreamstress said...

That is fantastic! I can't believe you made it!

Mrs. G said...

I think it looks great, very professional looking! The color is very lovely, it looks so beautiful with no trim whatsoever. ;-)

Paris

Lauren said...

I love it!

Sarah said...

It looks absolutely fabulous. I love it! Now I want to try one too. I can't wait to see what kind of trim you might put on it but I agree with Mrs. G, even without trim it looks great.

Waterrose said...

OH what a lovely bonnet! It looks like it took a lot of work and was made with a lot of love. Lovely!

Deanna said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Blessings,
d