A little while ago, I started on my first baby dress using Sarah Jane's pattern. The fabric is this gorgeous sheer cotton I found at an heirloom sewing store up in Lewisville, TX -- there was only about 1.5 yds left, so I took it and am being as conservative as I can with it, while still trying to ad some frills since this will be Baby's only real "fancy schmancy" dress. (Even though we don't believe in christening babies, I still wanted something fancy like a christening gown might be.) The sheerness of it really makes the tucks stand out. I did a deep hem (about 3.5") and a half hemstitch at the top of that, then added three 3/8" tucks above it. I was going to add more, but somehow it looked good as it was.
I've finished the sleeves, and now all I have left to do is gather the neckline and waist, bind the neck edge, add waistband, and then buttons and buttonholes! But that's just for the construction. I think I might add some embroidery on the waistband and sleeve bands (and maybe the neck edge), and I may be unable to resist some fine lace edging on the sleeves and neck. An original I saw had that, and it was just SO pretty.
Then, if I have some fabric left over (and I think I will!), I'll make a little bonnet to match. Of course, I may have to copy that little bonnet Sarah's just made -- with the little ruffle on the edge. Too cute!!
More to come! Hopefully I'll get this dress fully constructed by the end of Memorial Day weekend! Speaking of holidays -- I hope everyone has a lovely, relaxing, enjoyable weekend! Until next time...